Skip to main content

NSW Licence

Compliance Essentials

For a removalist company operating in Sydney, New South Wales (NSW), there are several licenses and insurances that are required to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations. These requirements are designed to protect both the business and its customers during the moving process.

While there isn’t a specific “removalist license” required in NSW, businesses need to be properly registered. This involves obtaining an Australian Business Number (ABN) and registering for Goods and Services Tax (GST). This registration is crucial for any business operation and is a legal requirement for tax purposes.

The NSW Fair trading department provides some helpful information, simply head over to the Fair Trading website for more details on requirements and your rights as a customer when buying removalists products and services.

In terms of insurances, there are several key types that a removalist company in Sydney should consider:


Public Liability Insurance

This is essential for a removalist company. It protects the business in case of injury or damage to third parties or their property during the moving process. Given the nature of removalist work, where employees are handling customer possessions and operating in customer homes and public spaces, public liability insurance is critical to cover any potential claims.

Workers' Compensation Insurance

In NSW, employers are required to have workers’ compensation insurance for their employees. This insurance provides protection for workers in case they are injured or become ill as a result of their work. Since removalist work can be physically demanding and poses a risk of injury, maintaining current workers’ compensation insurance is both a legal and practical necessity.

Goods in Transit Insurance

Although not legally required, this type of insurance is highly recommended for removalist companies. It covers the goods being moved in case they are lost, damaged, or stolen during transit. Offering this insurance can also be a selling point for customers who are looking for reassurance that their belongings are protected.

Commercial Vehicle Insurance

If the company owns and operates vehicles for the purpose of moving goods, commercial vehicle insurance is necessary. This insurance covers any damage to the company vehicles as well as liability for damage to other vehicles or property and injury to others in the event of an accident.

Marine Cargo Insurance

For removals that involve international shipping, marine cargo insurance may also be required. This covers the loss or damage of goods while they are being transported by sea.

It’s important for removalist companies to comply with these licensing and insurance requirements to operate legally and protect their business and customers.